BMI of Texas is wants to shine the spotlight on one of our surgeons, Dr. Richard K. Englehardt. We know you’re anxious to hear more about him and the path that led him to perform bariatric surgery in San Antonio, Texas. With that in mind, here is a quick rundown of the specifics of Dr. Englehardt’s training and professional affiliations:
Born: Provo, Utah
Dr. Englehardt Education/Training:
- Honors Bachelor of Arts in Biology from the University of Utah
- M.D. from the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine
- General surgical residency training at Providence Hospital and Medical Centers in Southfield, Michigan
- Advanced surgical fellowship training in Minimally Invasive and Bariatric Surgery with Dr. Terive Duperier and Dr. Michael Seger, in conjunction with the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
- Certified by the American Board of Surgery
- Recognized by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery as having successfully completed advanced fellowship training in bariatric surgery through a fully accredited fellowship program
While completing his surgical residency at Providence Hospital, Dr. Englehardt received the Administrative Chief Resident Award and the Outstanding Laparoendoscopic Resident Surgeon Award from the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons.
- American College of Surgeons
- American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
- Bexar County Medical Association
- Clinical Robotic Surgery Association
- Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons
- Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons
- Texas Medical Association
As you can see, Dr. Englehardt is well-trained in both general surgery and in bariatric surgery. Since his advanced fellowship training included minimally invasive surgery, he can be considered an advanced laparoscopic surgeon in San Antonio as well. Laparoscopic surgery is preferred by many patients and surgeons alike, as it yields excellent results without the pain and often lengthy recovery time of traditional open surgery. Still, all patients are different, and should minimally invasive bariatric surgery not be advisable for any reason, you can rest assured that Dr. Englehardt is also experienced in performing open surgical techniques in San Antonio, Texas.
There is a wide variety of surgical weight loss options out there nowadays, and as a professional who specializes in weight loss surgery, Dr. Englehardt is skilled at many of them. These include Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomy and adjustable gastric banding in San Antonio.
Though weight loss surgery is Dr. Englehardt’s specialty, it’s not the only type of surgery he performs. His extensive training in laparoscopic surgery also extended to the performance of minimally invasive general surgeries. For example, he has performed laparoscopic surgery to treat diseases of the stomach, intestines, gallbladder, pancreas, colon, adrenal glands, liver, and spleen.
When he’s not changing patients’ lives for the better with bariatric surgery, Dr. Englehardt, who earned the Eagle Scout rank as a Boy Scout, spends his free time camping and hiking.
His commitment to providing the best possible care for his patients from pre-surgery to post-surgical follow-up makes him an invaluable member of our team at BMI of Texas.